This week is the start of the little readers campaign and we thought it was a good idea to give you some information about the benefits of children reading from a young age.
It is a great idea to teach children that books are an important part of life. There is
a host of evidence to support the importance of reading and literature in the lives of young children.
Some of the great benefits from reading with your children are
- attention is improved
- stimulates vocabulary
- stimulate expressive language development
- lays down the foundation on which reading eventually will be developed
(especially in the 3-5 year old category)
- It creates a love of books which instils in the child the importance of books
in the lives of people
- It cements the love and nurturing bond between parent and child
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book
Early childhood development expert, David J. Carey, with over 25 years experience in both clinical and educational settings, has outline to us the benefits of reading at a young age which include
- Better academic progress throughout the years of schooling
- Better adjustment in life
- High levels of occupation
- Lower levels of criminal offending
- Lower levels of mental health problems.
To read is to dream
Some good tips for reading to your children are
- Try to give life to the different characters in the story by changing your
vocal tones and your vocal volume. This helps the listener become
deeply engrossed in the story
- Use inflexion in your voice(Creating a mood or a tenseness to the story)
- Let the children see you reading. By Showing children that reading is something you do, they will begin to mimic that behavior. They will want to mimic picking up a book, holding it, reading it, turning the pages and looking at the pictures
If you have any suggestions of books for kids for our readers then please share and we will create a list or join in the chat with me, and our other Irish baby bloggers, on facebook.